Church News and Events
•Christian Formation Cange Project:
The Sunday School classes will collect donations to support our friends in Cange. At the end of Lent, we will announce what these donations allow us to do (e.g. pay the salary of a teacher for a year -$300).
- Almsgiving: We will be offering purple glass jars for parishioners to collect their spare change in each week, available beginning Shrove Tuesday. Donations will be collected weekly and the amounts posted. A list of “suggested” (thought-provoking) daily donations amounts will be available, e.g. "if you had 3 meals today, donate a dime."
- Bake Sale: The children will bake delicious cookies and brownies and they will be sold for our Cange fund-raiser.
- Bow Sales: We will be selling purple hair bows made by the Harknesses to raise money for $3.00. They will be available beginning Shrove Tuesday.
•Food drive: We will be holding a food drive for AIM’s food pantry during all of Lent to help them prepare for their summer program of giving out food to children. Our Sunday School Classes will sort these donations during class each week, mark through the UPC codes and we will deliver them to the pantry at the end of Lent.
•Lenten Lessons/Purple Sundays: In addition to our regular lessons, we will be discussing the concept of Lent to the children. There will be Lenten handouts available. We will also be learning about our church’s work in Cange and their current needs. To reinforce the concept of the church calendar, we will encourage the association of the color purple with the Lenten season by putting purple table cloths in the classrooms and invite the entire congregation to wear something purple on Sundays.
•Getting Ready for Easter Class with Jack will meet each Sunday in his office in addition to the other 2 adult Sunday School Offerings.
More Christian Formation:
• Lent (March 5-April 17): • There will be a children’s’ art projects for the kids to work on during Wednesday night dinners called Wednesday Night Art Projects.
• Kanuga: 3-21 to 3-23 - registration forms are available.
• Easter Week April-13 to April-20: A group trip to Trinity Methodist's "Journey to the Resurrection". (Details forthcoming)
• Seder April 17: Christian Formation will partner with Outreach to host the annual Seder dinner.
• Easter April 20: There will be an Easter-Egg hunt for the kids to participate in and we will have a cross to be flowered (Thanks Louis LeBrun!)
• Service Project: We will plan a service project for the Sunday School kids. (Watch for details)
• Sunshine House: A new family is moving in and we will be planning some activities to welcome that family - perhaps a welcome basket, first aid kit, cleaning kit.
• Sunday School party May 18: The last day of Sunday School and the 9:15 service is May 18. We will have a party that day and recognize the Sunday School teachers.
• Summer Activities: Watch for our fun summer activities (like a pool party, family hike, and bowling).
• VBS: Details will be forthcoming regarding our Vacation Bible School 2014!
The Partnership Cange, Haiti Conference will be at Church of the Advent in Spartanburg
from 1-4 pm on February 22. We would love to send a large delegation from Grace.
Contact Powell Hickman for more information. Many of our Haitian partners as well as Bishop Waldo will be in attendance.
Check out this link about our mutual ministry in Haiti: http://www.campaignforcange.org/
Next Art Show Theme: “Getting Ready for Easter”. The next show begins in early March. Start thinking about all the ways we get ready for Easter. It could be Lenten themes, it could be Resurrection stories, or the Mighty Acts of God reading from the Easter Vigil, it could be Baptism or… How do we prepare to meet the Risen Lord?